Today was a big day for us! A couple of weeks ago, Gus asked me if i could make him an appointment to go to the dentist. I called. They quoted me $210 and that was with a 10% discount because I was going to pay cash. I nearly choked. I know how important dental hygiene is, but really, $210 for a child? So I did some sloothing. I found a dental hygienist school in Nashville and rang them up. May is free cleaning month SCORE and there is a $1 registration fee! So, for 2 whole dollars Gus and I got our teeth cleaned, polished, examined...the works! It was awesome! He was awesome! He swished for her, asked for and used the water and suction like an old pro and was just all around a good inquisitive patient!! They were awesome and the place was immaculate! The best part? Neither of us had any cavities or sugar bugs like they told Gus! I have to go back because he was quicker than me do she did not get to start on my cleaning, but I was a happy camper!
I wasn't sure how it would go. I was a little nervous, but my baby bear quickly showed me what he was made of and hopped right into the chair!
We have the Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist on DVD and the book. We read them occasionally and watch the DVD every now and then. I can't say one way or the other that it helped, but I personally think that going with my gut and not bringing him until he was ready was the best possible choice. I have been giving myself a hard time for about 2 years now because I have not taken him to the dentist like they recommend at the ripe old age of 2. I just did not want to be that mom for once so I held out. I am so glad I held out. He proved to me that he really knows himself and when he is and is not ready for the next steps. This seems to be a trend, a good trend with sweet baby bear!
Gusley, mommy is so proud of you and your determination! You will do great things in your life with this quality! Keep it up sweet boy!
In the chair all ready to go and the after results with Ms. Bridget who was fantastic!!


No comments:
Post a Comment