Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dear Blog, it's me Lauren!

Where do I even begin? What a crazy few months we have had. I think the fact that Jake has been in bed since putting Mabel to sleep at 8:30 says it all. So not like him to be asleep so early on a Saturday night, but it has been busy for us lately.

I will go back to Christmas...we had a wonderful Christmas, Santa was great to everyone and there were lots of smiles and surprises on Christmas morning!

We headed down to south Louisiana for the entire week of new year's. We hit the ground running when we got there, literally. Jake and I had an engagement party for some dear friends the night we drove in so we settled the kids and were out the door. That was as Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday we stayed with our super friends in the "dell" and had a great time! Tuesday night we attended a surprise dirty 30 for another great friend and got to see lots of old friends! Wednesday we celebrated paw's birthday and did lots of visiting during the days that we were in town because this was also Mabel's debut! I can't remember What Thursday brought, but Friday we had a surprise 40th anniversary party for Gi-Gi and paw! 40 years!! That was good because lots of relatives came out to celebrate so we saw more family! Saturday we attended a birthday party and then Jake made a delicious brisket for the Saints game and we started our trip back on Sunday, but that was not complete without a total meltdown by our little dude. I will spare the details of the meltdown because it was terrible and a total misunderstanding that prompted it. Moving on, we stopped to see Aunt Lisa in New Orleans and they had cooked a yummy spread and insisted that we stay and eat sooooo we hit the road to head home at 5pm and we had a 9 hour drive home! We pulled in a 2:30am and had to be at work for 8am...way to start the work week, but we survived! Our trip was awesome! We got to see lots of old friends and family. It was hard on Gus without a routine, but he did very well considering.

The next weekend was rather uneventful, the Saints game and some grocery shopping!

Mabel had her 6 month well visit on 01.17.12 and she weighed in at 17.5lbs and was 27 1/4 inches long! She had to get 4 shots and Gus had to get his flu shot. They were both troopers. I was a little nervous going alone, but I managed. We got a sonic treat and made it home just before the skies opened up so I was thankful for that!

Somewhere toward the end of January, Jake and I started looking at new places to live, unbeknownst to us that we were going to have to make that a reality the following week.

On 01.28.12, our previous landlord told us we had to move out by mid-March. Since we had started looking, that afternoon we loaded the kids up and hit the road looking at the places we saw online...they were not at all what we were looking for. That night after the kids were asleep, Jake was on one computer and I was in the office I the other computer and at the same time we said to each other that we had one to show each other....we were looking at the same place!! We called the owner the next day around 11am he told us we could see it at 1pm and by 9pm we had submitted our application! By Tuesday the 31st, we had our deposit down and our move date set for the 10th of February.

Best part...Gus' birthday party invitations had gone out just a few days before we found out we were going to have to move...yeah I looked like a genius to everyone when I had to tell them we were going to be moving so the party would either be at the new house or if we were not settled in time at chickfila! Yeah, that was fun! Anyway, the party happened at chickfila and he had a great time so that is all that matters!

We managed to pack the house, watch the Super Bowl, have friends over to watch said Super Bowl, entertain two kids while packing, work and stay sane in a matter of 9 days. It was a whirlwind and we could not have done it without the help of my parents and some amazing friends!

Moving was a process. Jake and I did what we could with both kids in tow on the Friday and then everyone met us on Saturday the 11th at 8am...it was freezing cold and SNOWING! Thankfully the snow stopped around noon and it "warmed" up a touch! Mom made a gumbo for everyone and kept Mabel so we could get it done! Gus was a trooper and helped every step of the way! Our first night in the new house was great! We all slept very well and Gus slept in his room all night! He is such a big boy and sure knows how to make us proud!

Sunday mom and dad kept the kids and Jake and I went to the old house to get some of the last things. I was able to clean the entire house and we got all but one last load.

Valentine's day is Gus' birthday so we did not do anything "moving" related. It was all about his birthday. We had dinner at Pei Wei and a Thomas cake at the house after. He got a large box of geo trax and he was very surprised and happy!

Wednesday was back to unpacking and getting settled. Thursday was spent preparing for the birthday party Saturday morning as was Friday! Saturday the 18th was his party and he had a grand ole time with his friends !

Gi-Gi, William and Pete came up to visit on Tuesday/Mardi Gras day and stayed with us till Friday! Gus was in heaven with them staying here! Saturday Jake arranged a beautiful hike for us all to go on! We hiked down to a waterfall that was just breathtaking.

Gus is still going to school, but now instead of a 5 minute drive to school we have an hour round trip there and back twice a day. This is a huge change for all of us and he seems to be adjusting, but it is taking Mabel a little longer because it is during her breakfast that we are leaving and her big afternoon nap that we are leaving again. I am willing to do this for Gus because he just loves his school and his teacher as do I. I am so bummed that he won't be able to go back next year, but I am sure we will find something equally as good.

If you are still reading, thanks. This post is mainly for me to remember this time in our life and when things get crazy and busy I can come back to this and see what we accomplished in such a short time!

Since I was not pregnant for this move I was able to actually help out. I did my best to nurse Mabel when she needed but there were times during all of this that I just couldn't. Mom gave her a little formula, but it must not agree with her...she got sick for the first time and it was just awful.

So in a nutshell we were gone 10 days came home, regrouped, got the boot, found a new house, moved, celebrated Gus turning 4, had a sick Mabel, family came to visit, we managed to keep some sort of normalcy around here and we still love each other. Not to mention all the little things that have happened that could be inserted between the above mentioned facts!

I know that things could be worse, but this is my therapy to write it out and get it off my chest. So again, if you are still reading thanks!

Lastly, Gus had his 4 year well visit on 02.22.12. Pinki came with me because he was getting 4 shots this time. I am so glad she did. Mom of the year right here....arrived 30 mins late for the appointment because I was going by the time they gave me for Mabel because she had to get a shot as well. This snafu caused us to have to wait an additional 30 mins or so to be seen...awesome! Gus insisted on wearing his jammies and he did really good. He weighs 37.5 lbs and is 41 1/4 inches tall! 64th and 71st percentiles! He will get his own post for this since he was so good!

That is where I have been. I am really missing my blog and am hoping to get back in a groove very soon! Until then...a picture post will follow!

2 comments:

mamacordova said...

You guys are AWESOME!!

Andrea Dupree said...

That is some serious whirl-winding! Great to hear that things are going well for everyone!